This recipe is from a new favorite food blog of mine. The pictures will make you drool, the author will make you think and the recipes are divine.
Roasted Sesame Winter Slaw Makes a lot
2 cups each shredded Savoy cabbage, purple cabbage, kale
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
½ cup chopped mint (optional)
½ cup sesame seeds
Tahini Cream Dressing with Orange Dressing:
Makes 1 cup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. liquid honey (or agave, maple syrup)
1/3 cup tahini
½ cup water a couple pinches of salt (depending on whether or not your tahini is already salted – season to taste)
zest of 1 organic orange (optional)
1. Wash and shred the cabbage and kale as finely as possible (you can use a food processor attachment for this if you like). Place in a large bowl.
2. Shred the carrots either with a food processor or on a box grater. Add to the cabbage.
3. Finely slice the scallions into rings. Wash and chop the parsley. Add to the bowl.
4. Whisk dressing ingredients together. Add water to thin to desired consistency.
5. Roast sesame seeds in a dry skillet until they begin to pop. Remove from heat immediately. Pour over salad ingredients.
6. Toss everything in the bowl together and serve. Pour dressing on only after the salad has been plated – this way you get some bites with lots of dressing and some without for the best balance. Garnish with extra parsley and sesame seeds.
Salad (without dressing) will keep in the fridge for at least 2 days.